President Jim Stapleton called on January Program Chairman Miranda Whitley to introduce Marianne Graf-Thomas of Blackshear, a vendor at the Exchange Club Flea Market. She is the owner of Sand Hill Farm, a “from my farm to your table” small business. She is a “return to her roots” person that started with ten chickens and realized that she needed to be able to do more than just eat eggs. Her home has now become her factory! As her business card and display proved, she has gone from country fresh farm eggs to local wildflower honey, jams, jellies, syrups, cakes, pies (especially pecan) into hand-poured soaps and candles, potpourris, and sachets. She is the author of her own cookbook and a licensed egg candler (grader). Marianne has enjoyed her time as a vendor in Waycross and appreciates the opportunity to introduce the area to her products and crafts. She previously drove to Jesup which was very time-consuming and inconvenient. The local flea market is a place for a variety of vendors to offer crafts and extra items to the community. As she says, “a little bit of this and a little bit of that”!
Waycross Exchange Club Board of Directors meeting will be held on January 14, 2021, at 11:00 a.m. in The Ellie Royal Board Room.
Al Jacobson reported that the December 28, 2020 Blood Drive was the best in years. A total of 191 pints was received, while other drives are in decline. “Thank You” for your faithful donations!
Our Exchange Club Flea Market is carrying its own, with a reported $6105.00 income and $485.00 expenses for the past four months. We are looking forward to continued progress in the New Year!
SOPHIE CHOUDHRI DECEMBER YOUTH OF THE MONTH
It is with much enthusiasm that I introduce to you Sophia Choudhri. Sophia is the daughter of Sohail and Nosheem Choudhri. She is currently ranked 5th out of 347 Ware County High School seniors. Sophia’s Activities/Honors at WCHS include:
- “A” Honor Roll 9th – 12th • Beta Club 9th – 12th (Community Service Chair)
- National Honor Society 10th – 12th
- Varsity Tennis 9th -12th (Captain)
- Technology Student Association 9th – 12th (Secretary)-Placed in State Finals for Fashion Design)
- FBLA 10th -11th (Won 1st place in Social Media Campaign and 2nd in Graphic Design at Region)
- Academic Quiz Bowl 9th – 12th (Co-Captain)
- Okefenokee Swamp Ambassador 11th – 12th
- Waycross Bank & Trust Junior Board 12th
- Technology Fair 9th – 12th (Won 1st in the state 3 years in a row)
- Ware County Gator Productions 10th – 12th (Spring Musical and One Act. Won region for One Act)
- Model UN 9th – 12th (Treasurer) – Won the Valdosta State competition 3 years in a row.)
Sophia has been involved in a number of community activities:
Sophia is an officer in Beta and she is involved in the National Honor Society, which are two community service clubs at the High School. She was also an Okefenokee Swamp Ambassador. She has volunteered at local fashion shows where money was raised for the Satilla Health Foundation, Mattie’s Mission, and Hospice House. Sophia also created the Sunrise Movement Hub which is an organization that is focused on the preservation of the environment. After graduation from Ware County High School, Sophia is planning to attend Vassar and major in Biology.